Josh Bell and Yasiel Puig Win in Dramatic Fashion

The first game back from the All Star break was a memorable one for at least two players as their late inning home runs led their teams to the first victories of the second half. Yasiel Puig and Josh Bell are both featured on today's Topps Now baseball cards for their games last night.

Yasiel Puig went 2 for 4 with 4 RBI to help the Dodgers defeat the Marlins. The Dodgers seem like an unstoppable train at this point, their 62-29 record topping all of baseball, but they entered the ninth inning of game 91 trailing 4-3. Puig, who had already homered in the top of the fifth, took the plate with two outs and two men on in the top of the ninth. Taking a swing on the fourth pitch of a 1-2 count, Puig launched the ball to deep left-center and gave the Dodgers a two run lead over the Marlins.

Kenley Jansen came in to pitch a three up, three down inning in the ninth which secured the Dodgers' 62nd win of the season. The Dodgers, thanks mostly to Yasiel Puig, entered the final frame with a 9% chance of winning and turned their fortunes around to end the frame with a 91% win expectancy.

The Pirates have not really been lighting baseball on fire this season but they have won six of their last seven games and their most recent win can be credited, in large part, to their rookie first baseman Josh Bell. Bell went 2 for 3 with two walks in his first game post break but the big fireworks came in the bottom of the ninth as the game was tied at 2. Like Puig, Bell hit his game winning home run on the fourth pitch of his at bat with a 1-2 count.

The three run blast was the first walk-off homer for the 24 year old and his 17th home run of the season. His batting line is currently .243/.328/.484 with a 1.3 WAR.

Both men are featured on today's Topps Now baseball cards which will be available for only 24 hours. For a complete checklist of the set, please click the associated hub button at the top of the screen. Today's additions are as follows:

  • 350 - Josh Bell
  • 351 - Yasiel Puig

This is the second card for Puig, his first being #98 which sold 587 copies. It is the first card for Josh Bell.

Use our links to purchase your copy of these cards and a portion of your purchase will benefit our charity of the month.

Have your say!

0 1

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.